
These last few weeks I’ve been wondering why people say "Happy Memorial Day". Memorial Day is not just BBQs, Beers and Laughter...for me it is going to be one of the hardest days to face as it is an "in your face" reminder of what I have lost, and what so many have forgotten.
"Happy Memorial Day"...it seems to just flow of the tongues of those around us. As though Memorial Day is just any other "holiday" to be celebrated with joy and happiness. When someone says "Hey Happy Memorial Day" what exactly are they so "happy" about? Maybe its the extra 20% or 30% they will get off beach towels at Macys, or maybe its the fact that they are off work, cooking out and not paying any attention to why they are really off work. Do these "happy" people take any time during their day off to share a moment thinking of those who paid the ultimate price for them to be off work and cooking out, or shopping "the big sale"??
Do people take the time to teach and show their children the importance of Memorial Day? Do they take them to a National Cemetery and show them all the lives that have been lost, tell them what that means for those who are still alive? Do they educate their children to show respect to those who have fallen for all the freedoms we take for granted every day? Do they just take a moment, a simple moment in their day to show that they care, or understand what the day is about?
James don’t you worry I will always make sure that Jamie and William understand the true meaning of Memorial Day. You will always be a hero in our eyes. We love you same!!!!
I have been thinking about this a lot -- how up until this year I didn't "get" Memorial Day and how utterly ashamed I am that it took loosing James to understand the somber reality of this "holiday" and how from now on I want to make sure we mark this day with the honor and respect it, and the men and women who have paid for American freedom with their lives, deserve.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the reminder, Rachel. You and the kids are in our thoughts and prayers, as always.
I couldn't have said it any better.
ReplyDelete